After many failed attempts at getting up on a wakeboard, this video helped me understand what I was doing wrong. Here are what I would call the keys to success:
1. Make sure your legs/knees are tucked inside of your arms. Not only will this stabilize your legs but it will help keep your arms straight as you don’t want to fight the boat.
2. Tighten your abs to stabilize your core.
3. Ask the boat driver to gradually increase speed. It doesn’t take much for a wakeboard to get on plane and going slow will give you more time to realize what you’re doing right and what you’re doing wrong.
4. As the boat speeds up stay low, begin to point the end of your board towards the boat.
5. Slowly stand up when you feel comfortable.
After watching me, my wife got up on the first try.